California LPCCs (Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors) and LEPs (Licensed Educational Psychologists) must take:
- 36 hours of continuing education (CE) every 2 years, including 6 hours of law and ethics every renewal period.
- In addition, LPCCs must complete a 7-hour continuing education course in the assessment and treatment of people who live with HIV-AIDS. This is a one-time only CE requirement.
- In addition, LEPs must complete
- at least seven (7) hours in child abuse assessment and reporting. This is a one-time only requirement.
- at least fifteen (15) hours in alcoholism and other chemical substance dependency. This is a one-time only requirement.
- If practitioners have a LMFT or LCSW license in addition to the LEP or LPCC license, they may apply CE hours to both if the course meets the CE guidelines and the subject matter relates to both scopes of practice.
- LPCCs who assess or treat couples or families, supervise an MFT trainee or intern, or supervise an LPCC or PCC intern who is gaining experiences with couples or families must include 6 hours in marriage and family therapy in their total number of course hours.
- Course content should be relevant to the practice of the license held and to maintaining or improving the skill and competency of the licensee.
State laws can change. Practitioners are responsible for determining their state’s licensure requirements. To view your state’s continuing education regulations, click the link below.