This course contains a link to buy the book on Amazon, a test, and a study guide. When you’re ready, purchase the course by clicking the “Buy Now” button. Obtain your book through the Amazon link below or from your local library or your choice of booksellers. Once you have read the materials, login and go to “My Profile” to take the quiz and print your certificate for CE credits. A minimum score of 80% is required on the exam in order to be accepted by most state and national boards.
Course Description, Hours: 13 CEs
A pioneering researcher and one of the world’s foremost experts on traumatic stress offers a bold new paradigm for healing
Trauma is a fact of life. Veterans and their families deal with the painful aftermath of combat; one in five Americans has been molested; one in four grew up with alcoholics; one in three couples have engaged in physical violence. Such experiences inevitably leave traces on minds, emotions, and even on biology. Sadly, trauma sufferers frequently pass on their stress to their partners and children.
Renowned trauma expert Bessel van der Kolk has spent over three decades working with survivors. In The Body Keeps the Score, he transforms our understanding of traumatic stress, revealing how it literally rearranges the brain’s wiring—specifically areas dedicated to pleasure, engagement, control, and trust. He shows how these areas can be reactivated through innovative treatments including neurofeedback, mindfulness techniques, play, yoga, and other therapies. Based on Dr. van der Kolk’s own research and that of other leading specialists, The Body Keeps the Score offers proven alternatives to drugs and talk therapy—and a way to reclaim lives.
Target audience: Social Workers, Psychologists, Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists, Addiction Counselors
The participant will be able to identify or demonstrate familiarity with:
- LESSONS FROM VIETNAM VETERANS
- REVOLUTIONS IN UNDERSTANDING MIND AND BRAIN
- LOOKING INTO THE BRAIN: THE NEUROSCIENCE REVOLUTION
- RUNNING FOR YOUR LIFE: THE ANATOMY OF SURVIVAL
- BODY-BRAIN CONNECTIONS
- LOSING YOUR BODY, LOSING YOUR SELF
- GETTING ON THE SAME WAVELENGTH: ATTACHMENT AND ATTUNEMENT
- TRAPPED IN RELATIONSHIPS: THE COST OF ABUSE AND NEGLECT
- WHAT’S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT?
- DEVELOPMENTAL TRAUMA: THE HIDDEN EPIDEMIC
- UNCOVERING SECRETS: THE PROBLEM OF TRAUMATIC MEMORY
- THE UNBEARABLE HEAVINESS OF REMEMBERING
- HEALING FROM TRAUMA: OWNING YOUR SELF
- LANGUAGE: MIRACLE AND TYRANNY
- LETTING GO OF THE PAST: EMDR
- LEARNING TO INHABIT YOUR BODY: YOGA
- PUTTING THE PIECES TOGETHER: SELF-LEADERSHIP
- FILLING IN THE HOLES: CREATING STRUCTURES
- REWIRING THE BRAIN: NEUROFEEDBACK
- FINDING YOUR VOICE: COMMUNAL RHYTHMS AND THEATER
- CHOICES TO BE MADE
- CONSENSUS PROPOSED CRITERIA FOR DEVELOPMENTAL TRAUMA DISORDER
Required Reading/Course Materials: